We have been working on the interior paintwork this week – covering up the rather scary green primer with a slightly more socially acceptable grey on any areas of the fuselage metalwork that will be visible once the build is completed.

Most of the work involved in this task was masking off the areas we *didn’t* want to paint, which took ages. We had to figure out where pieces we haven’t yet added will overlap and try to estimate where we did and did not need to paint – largely this was successful, although there are some less well-covered areas that we might need to touch up at a later date.

Masking of spar, seat area and footwells to leave the side panels clear for painting
Seat and baggage floor area masked off

We have used the same grey paint for our armrests so we have got used to the colour (which is wise if you’re going to use it on a huge area) and we’re really happy with it. We also painted the roll-bar and brace so these could be assembled as soon as the interior was dry.

Roll-bar and brace

We are using paint from Stewart Systems, specifically Ekocrylic topcoat in Battleship Grey (E5302) for those who are interested!

J took one for the team and did the marathon painting sessions, for which I’m very grateful. He said it was ‘marginally less horrible’ than the smell of the Aerowave 2001 primer, and hopefully less poisonous, but it took a lot longer and required a large number of shots so he had to spread the painting over two days, grabbing time to spray in between work calls and other activities. Four showers post-painting and J still has grey paint on his nose…!

Half-way there…

We will most likely add some side panel pockets and carpeting in due course for convenience and to protect heavy-traffic areas, but now that we’ve done the painting we have the option of leaving that until a much later date and/or deciding not to do it at all. We’ve been looking at options from Flightline and Classic Aero but there are other options too and we still have plenty of time to decide.

Roll-bar and brace now clecoed in place

Besides the painting, we have got our next little batch of deburring and priming done in the form of a collection of metalwork that will surround the perspex canopy.

Canopy metalwork including latch, clips and various doublers, as well as some park-brake parts that have sneaked in somehow
RV-14 build: Interior painting

Post navigation


8 thoughts on “RV-14 build: Interior painting

  1. Good to see you back blogging, don’t know how you have time I am just about fitting in work, family life, building and flying. All looks like good work and coming along nicely!

    Where did you order the Stewart Systems paint from?

    1. I definitely go in fits and starts but I think I’ll regret it if I don’t keep a log, and as our inspector is based a couple of hrs away it’s useful for him too. How are you getting on? We ordered the paint direct from Stewart Systems, which seems to be one of a limited number of options. There is apparently a dealer in the Netherlands but the paint would still be mixed at Stewart so you’d end up paying for duty/transport somewhere.

  2. I like the supposed less toxic Stewart systems but as you say it seems limited to importing.

    The build is going well, just put together the fore and aft sections hope to get this riveted over the next couple of weeks and onto the fuel lines. Have also bought the aircraft speciality lines after reading the problems others had fabricating them.

  3. H,

    I’ve been following your build for a while.

    Quick question.

    How many coats of the Aerowave 2001 primer do you apply to the internal surfaces?

    There seems to be a bit of divergence of thinking on this issue. Some go for one, as its only there for corrosion proofing. Whilst others go for the ‘Full Monty’ and apply two.

    I’m just starting an RV-12 build and still trying to finalise things.

    Well done and thanks,

    John.

    1. Hi John,

      Sorry for the delay, we’ve been deep in fibreglass for a couple of months and I’ve been really bad at keeping the blog up to date! We usually just do one light coat of the Aerowave – that’s all you need if you’ve washed/scuffed properly and it adheres well. Sometimes we do another coat if there are gaps (which tend to show up better when it’s dry), but in my view you really shouldn’t need to do a second.

      Good luck with the -12 build, you’ll have a great time! Where are you based?

      Best wishes,
      Emily

  4. Do you remember how much paint you needed to topcoat the interior? Im about to do the same, but have no idea if a full gallon is way too much. Great blog, super helpful!

    1. Hi Todd,

      Sorry for the delay replying, hope your build is going well! Are you doing a -14 too?

      We ordered the paint from Stewart systems and we ordered two quarts (24 fl oz, just over 700ml) cans of the Ekocrylic topcoat and then flattener to go with it. We used max flattener and we have ended up getting through just over 1 quart of the topcoat in all. I think we’ve got pretty generous coverage out of that, so I would say a full gallon is too much on that basis!

      Hope this helps,
      Emily

  5. Hi Emily,

    I live not far from the legendry Dartford Tunnel.

    Currently putting the rear end together.

    I thought about a blog but I find writing anything a bit of a faff!

    Talking, as my family and friends will testify, is not an issue.

    I’m currently posting on the Flyer Forum as G-JWTP.You can get updates on progress on there.

    Most of my family and friends go ‘wow’! My wife just shakes her head and laughs. But I suppose that you’ve had all of that.

    I’ll drop a line at memorable points if you like.

    Best regards,

    John.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.