J’s second guest post on progress whilst I was finishing my PPL. 

While Em was away in France I made a start on the elevators.

First up, you chuck everything together and drill a bunch of holes. Nothing complicated here, but if you’re priming you end up doing things out of order and some care is needed to keep track – we’ve been using the crude but effective method of ticking off every line of the instructions with pencil as we go along, and also marking when inspections are due so we don’t inadvertently close off an area that our LAA inspector will need to see.

Skeleton clecoed for drilling
Skeleton clecoed for drilling

This was the first time I got to use the step drill, and it worked very well in the drill press. The biggest problem was clamping the work down. I’ve ordered some C-clamps which should make it easier.

Improvised clamp
Improvised clamp

A friend from work came over to help me with riveting the skeleton on the right elevator – in an afternoon we got everything dimpled and riveted ready to add the skins. Riveting is so much easier with 2 people!

Skeleton and spar
Skeleton and spar
Skins and back-riveted ribs
Skins and back-riveted ribs

After a long break (collecting Emily from France, a work trip to Chicago, and an extended flying holiday), we finally got the skin on the right elevator. This was very quick and easy in the end – even though some parts looked tricky, the special RV-14 bucking bar from Cleaveland Tool worked really well.

Now we’re blocking on proseal to get the foam ribs in and the trailing edge together.

J

RV-14 build: Elevator part 1 (guest post)

Post navigation


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *